Diploma IN ADVANCED STUDIES IN HUMANITARIAN ACTION (DAS)
19 weeks / 30 ECTS CREDITS
The Diploma of Advanced Studies (DAS) aims to offer professionals a strong understanding of the contemporary humanitarian challenges through a comprehensive overview of conceptual and operational aspects of humanitarian past and present crises. Their study will allow participants to acquire the necessary tools in order to analyze, understand and engage in critical reflection on the response to nowadays humanitarian emergencies.
Over the course of their studies, participants will:
- Analyse the historical, geopolitical and social origins of humanitarian crises
- Acquire methodological and conceptual tools in order to reflect on contemporary humanitarian action
- Reflect on their own practice
- Identify the trends and dilemmas of contemporary humanitarian action
Once the students successfully complete the Diploma of Advanced Studies in Humanitarian Action's full programme according to CERAH requirements, they obtain a joint degree delivered by the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (IHEID) and the University of Geneva (UNIGE).
The DAS course is appropriate for:
- Professionals in the humanitarian, development or social sector looking to develop their competencies as well as reflect and capitalise on their experiences
- Professionals from other sectors who wish to increase their understanding of the humanitarian sector for a potential career change
- Graduate students with relevant volunteer or intern experience, looking to undertake a post-graduate course with a view to entering the humanitarian sector.
The DAS is taught in English however, students are offered the alternative to take written tests and write their Diploma final paper in French.
The DAS is limited to 20 students per year.