TSC - DIALOGUE WITH COMMUNITIES
© Borja Ruiz Rodrigue, MSF
NEXT SESSION: May 6 - 10, 2019
Development and humanitarian professionals, are you interested in developing a meaningful dialogue with communities in a strategic way? Would you like to deepen your knowledge in intercultural communication? Are you curious about the importance of accountability and the limits of two-way communication? This short course will be of interest for you.
Using lectures, case studies and discussions, the general objective of the seminar is for participants to acquire the tools and skills adapted for effective communication in humanitarian settings.
At the end of the course, the participants will have developed a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of challenges, opportunities and limits of the dialogue with communities, its theoretical bases and its practical implementation with a focus on communication aspects.
Learning outcomes in terms of knowledge - Understanding of the:
- role of dialogue to facilitate the design and success of the aid project implementation and to apply a real accountability towards affected populations
- concepts of community engagement, Communication with Communities (CWC), participation, accountability, Information-Education-Communication (IEC), acceptance & perception
- various tools and strategies experienced to develop the dialogue according to its different objectives
Learning outcomes in terms of skills - Capacity to:
- explain the importance of accountability and detail strategies to implement through the project cycle
- identify perception and acceptance issues
- apply a strategy for acceptance to a case study
- analyze the impact acceptance and accountability concerns have on project implementation
- explain the various specificities of intercultural communication
- identify emergence of rumours and adopt an adapted communication response
- define a frame of monitoring and evaluation of communication in a process of community engagement
- understand the various methodologies usable to develop a perception survey/study
Learning outcomes in terms of analytical competences - Ability to:
- analyze the present limits and constraints of dialogue engagement of the 'humanitarian sector'
- develop critical analysis on the scope of present experiences in terms of Community engagement, Communication with Communities and Accountability
- apply a communication strategy in the frame of 'Communication with Communities' to a case study
2 ECTS - Credits recognized by the University of Geneva and the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies.