DESIGNING AN ADVOCACY STRATEGY FOR HUMANITARIAN ACTION
next session: 4-8 MAy, 2020
You want to know the building blocks of an advocacy strategy to achieve your humanitarian programme objectives? This short course will be of interest for you: Develop strategic skills to better analyze specific contexts, map stakeholders, and design effective advocacy strategies in support of operational humanitarian projects.
Using lectures, case studies and discussions with professionals in humanitarian advocacy, the general objective of the seminar is for participants to acquire the tools and skills necessary to develop an effective advocacy strategy in support to operational humanitarian projects.
By the end of the seminar, participants will be able to:
- Elaborate an advocacy plan to support programmatic objectives in humanitarian interventions
- Define the principal steps for the development and implementation of the advocacy plan
- Master key tools and concepts to use in advocacy efforts (campaign, lobby, stakeholder mapping advocacy plan of action…)
Learning outcomes in terms of knowledge - Understanding of
- The different objectives and steps of an Advocacy strategy
- The role of advocacy in the field of humanitarian action
Learning outcomes in terms of skills - Capacity to
- Determine which advocacy efforts to build up in a specific circumstance
- Elaborate and implement an advocacy strategy to support programmatic objectives
- Use of a stakeholder mapping tool
Learning outcomes in terms of analytical competences - Ability to
- Identify appropriate activities and tools for advocacy according to the issue at stake in a given context
- Analyze the context and the potential added value or drawbacks of an advocacy strategy
2 ECTS - Credits recognized by the University of Geneva and the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies.