Thematic Short Course - Team Management in Humanitarian Settings
Next session: april 2018
(exact dates to be confirmed)
In partnership with Médecins sans Frontières Switzerland
People Management is probably one of the richest, more demanding and key areas of humanitarian work. It has a direct impact on operations, on the quality of the humanitarian response and on people affected by disasters and conflicts.
In a sector with high staff turnover, with high diversity not only in terms of culture, gender and backgrounds but also in terms of status (regular staff, volunteers, consultants, short-term, long-term, local, expat), the course focuses in developing the relevant competencies and providing appropriate tools to manage teams effectively within the growing complexity of humanitarian interventions.
Analyse how teams work and bring concrete solutions supporting the development of individual and collective competencies.
More specifically, you will be able to:
- Determine the key factors that support effective team functioning
- Formulate good practices that enhance the creation of an environment conducive to a constructive team life
- When facing situations of conflicts, select the appropriate mode on the basis of your own skills and context in which the conflict is taking place
- Identify “frequent/classical issues in diversity management” and elaborate solutions
- Correlate diverse expectations towards management and cultural orientations
- Identify concrete ways to help staff to learn in a defined workplace context
2 ECTS - Credits recognized by the University of Geneva and the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies.