The Geneva Centre for Education and Research in Humanitarian Action (CERAH) was created in its present form in 2008 by an agreement between the University of Geneva and the Graduate Institute (IHEID).
The Supervisory Committee
This is the general supervisory organ of CERAH. The Rector of the University and the Director of the IHEID sit on the Committee. The Committee’s main tasks are to:
- Nominate the president of the CERAH Board of Directors on the basis of a recommendation from the board;
- Monitor the application of the strategy proposed by the board, and ensure that it falls within the framework of the general strategy of the University and the IHEID;
- Approve the annual budget and accounts and the annual report.
The Board of Directors
The strategic governing body of CERAH it the Board of Directors. It is composed of representatives from the University of Geneva, the IHEID and several humanitarian organisations. In addition, two eminent individuals are co-opted to serve on the board. Its tasks are as follows:
- Define CERAH's strategy;
- Identify, orient and ensure the implementation and internal oversight of teaching, research and other activities in order to achieve the Centre's objectives;
- Develop and transmit course regulations to the competent authorities and oversee their application;
- Deal with conflicts involving students through a Mediation Commission established within the Board.
Current Members of the Board of Directors :
Prof Gilles Carbonnier (President)
International Economy, IHEID more...
Prof Riccardo Bocco
Anthropology and Sociology of Development, IHEID
Prof Costanza Bonadonna
Faculty of Sciences, University of Geneva
Prof Etienne Bourgeois
Faculty of Psychology and Science of Education, University og Geneva
Prof François Chappuis
Humanitarian Medicine, University of Geneva
Prof Francois Dermange
Faculty of Theology, University of Geneva
Mrs Bérengère Gautier
Partner, Encore+ Ltd.
Prof SImon Hug
Political Science and International Relations, University of Geneva
Prof Doris Schopper
Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva
Mrs Aude Thorel
Médecins Sans Frontières, Switzerland
The Board of Directors
Past chairs of the Steering Committee since 1998 have been appointed Honorary Chairpersons. In chronological order since the beginning they are:
- Prof Timothy Harding, Professor Emeritus, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva
- Prof Jean-Jacques Wagner, Professor Emeritus, Faculty of Sciences, University of Geneva
- Prof Claude Le Coultre, Professor Emeritus, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva
- Prof Christian-Nils Robert, Professor Emeritus, Faculty of Law, University of Geneva