Distance Learning Certificate of Advanced Studies – Designing Strategies and Projects for Humanitarian Action
Are you a humanitarian middle manager with at least 2-3 years of experience? Do you wish to reflect on your experience and to improve your practice? Discover our new Distance Learning Certificate of Advanced Studies - Designing Strategies and Projects for Humanitarian Action.
This Certificate aims to reinforce the knowledge and skills that you require to confront current challenges faced by humanitarian actors working in complex environments. The course emphasizes adaptive and flexible strategies and projects. It focuses on your actual working environment and enables you to reflect on your current practice as you learn.
At the end of the CAS, you will have developed the relevant competencies to design and adapt humanitarian strategies and projects in line with the specifics of each context. You will be able to provide coherent, flexible and creative humanitarian responses taking into account ethical issues and context prerogatives as well as humanitarian principles and your organisation’s mandate.
This certificate has 3 components:
- E-learning modules: To reinforce your knowledge through 40 thematic areas. You will confront those themes with your reality (reflexive analysis) as well as discussing and working with your peers (3.5 months).
- Residential session: To broaden and deepen your learning in Kampala/Jinja, Uganda (10 days).
- Coaching plus additional e-learning: To implement your plan of action under supervision and to keep learning on specific topics you choose (4 months).
- Dates: 13 February - 8 October 2017
- Registration Deadline: 1 December 2016
- 8 months course:
- 3 and a half-months Distance: You learn through e-learning courses and distance collaborative interactions
- 10 days in Kampala/Jinja, Uganda: You practice and share issues through face to face sessions (Sunday 23 April until Wednesday 3 May 2017 included)
- 3 months - Distance: You design and implement your plan of action, at your workplace, with the support of a coach
- Personalized training path based on individual needs and working reality
- Based on current & future humanitarian challenges
- Partnership with top humanitarian organisations
- Expert speakers
- University degree
- Credits: 15 ECTS (European Credit Transfer Systems)
- Fees: 6000 CHF including accommodation and food during the residential session in Kampala/Jinja, Uganda
- A number of scholarships are also available (application deadline for scholarships 15 September 2016)
- Any questions? firstname.lastname@example.org
The course is delivered in partnership with Médecins Sans Frontières, Groupe urgence éhabilitation développement, Handicap International, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, Sphere Project, Transparency International, Conflict Dynamics International, Centre for Humanitarian Psychology, United Nations Development Programme, UN Refugee Agency, International Committee of the Red Cross, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and Assessment Capacities Project.
For you as a student / professional
- Study and learn from your own context, combining studies and work
- Define your own learning objectives based on current challenges
- Work directly in your own professional environment, on your own challenges
- Develop a personalised learning pathway: choice of sequence, choice of options and choice of resources
- Develop an action plan and implement it directly in a work situation during the course
- Be coached in the implementation process
- Improve remote communication skills and learning autonomy
- Create a community of practice
For your organisation
- Have trained professionals addressing current professionals issues
- Define your learning objectives with your manager based on your job position’s challenges
- Reflect on organisational processes with an academic perspective
- Network at the institutional level
- Save time and money
- Learn from other organisations experiences
- Combine individual learning process and organisational change management
- Participate in the evaluation process on the content of the CAS regarding the challenges faced by the Humanitarian Organisations