Dr Valérie Gorin
Dr Valérie Gorin contributed to CERAH courses as an external specialist, before joining as a lecturer in January 2011.
She is also SNF Senior researcher at the University of Lausanne and Lecturer in History in the Unidistance programme.
Dr Gorin holds a Degree in History from the Faculty of Arts in October 2004, and a PhD in communication and media sciences from the University of Geneva, which she obtained in September 2013. Her PhD focused on the photojournalistic coverage of humanitarian crises in American and French newsmagazines from the 1960s to the 1990s.
She has been carrying out research on media and communication and teaching qualitative methods for social sciences between 2007 and 2013 with the Department of Sociology, University of Geneva.
Her areas of research are related to the history of communication and humanitarian action and to the evolution and uses of photojournalism in modern times. She is currently doing research on the visual culture of humanitarianism, and on the link between citizen photojournalism, (eye)witnessing and advocacy strategies in humanitarian settings. She has also contributed to the SNF research project about the commemorations of the 1917 October revolution (from 2015 to 2017)..
- Coordinator of the week History of Humanitarism in the DAS
- Coordinator of the week Communication in Humanitarian Action in the DAS
- Member of the board and teacher for the CAS Communication, Negotiation and Advocacy for Humanitarian Action
Fields of Interest
- History of armed conflicts in the 20th century
- History of photography, photojournalism and the press
- History of humanitarian action
- The media and humanitarian action
- Humanitarian communication
- Citizen (photo)journalism
- Advocacy strategies
- Sociology of celebrity and celebrity diplomacy
- Sacco, Vittoria, and Valérie Gorin. (upcoming in 2018). Coordination of the special issue: “‘Should I post that picture or issue that story?’ Journalistic practices in the representation of the migrant crisis." Journal of Applied Journalism and Media Studies
Gorin, Valérie (with JF. Fayet and S. Prezioso). 2017. Echoes of October. International Commemorations of the Bolshevik Revolution 1918-1991. Lawrence & Wishart: London. https://www.lwbooks.co.uk/book/echoes-of-october
Gorin, Valérie (with G. Haver, JF. Fayet and E. Koustova). 2017. Le spectacle de la révolution. Histoire de la culture visuelle des commémorations d’Octobre, en URSS et ailleurs. Antipodes : Lausanne. http://www.antipodes.ch/a-paraitre/le-spectacle-de-la-revolution-detail.
Sacco, Vittoria, et Valérie Gorin. 2017. « Mediatized Conflict and Visual News Framing. How Swiss Audiences React to News Images from the Syrian War.” Middle East Journal of Culture and Communication 10 (2-3): 204-233. http://booksandjournals.brillonline.com/content/journals/10.1163/18739865-01002007.
De Laat, Sonya, and Valérie Gorin. October 2016. " Iconographies of humanitarian aid in Africa." HPG Working Paper, pp. 15-29. https://www.odi.org/sites/odi.org.uk/files/resource-documents/11148.pdf